Go to top of page

Continuing your studies in Australia

If you are looking to continue studying in Australia, compile all the necessary documents and lodge your application early. This means we can process your application faster, however, each application presents with unique circumstances and some applications will take longer than average to finalise.

Some of the documents you may need are evidence of Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC), your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE or eCoE) from your Australian educational institution, evidence of your financial capacity and English language proficiency. For information on what documents you are required to provide, check out our document checklist to be sure you have everything ready for your application before lodging it.

You may not need to provide all of these documents depending on your nationality and intended course of study. However, it is still a good idea to have these documents prepared as they may be requested by your education provider.

If we do ask for further information or documents from you, provide these quickly, and provide them online through your ImmiAccount rather than by email.

Studying in Australia

If you are in Australia, make sure you apply for your further student visa before your current visa ends, and before you start studying.

We expect to receive a large number of applications from prospective students looking to start studying in 2016, so lodge your application early as it can take some time for your application to be decided.

Information on our service standards for visa processing can be found on the department's website.



Comments (4)


My visa expires in August 2016 and 4 th sem left for extension . When should i apply for extension ?


Hi Rohit – thanks for your query. If you need to extend your stay in Australia to complete your studies you will need to apply for a further student stay visa. You should lodge an application as soon as you have been issued your CoE and have all your required documents together. Make sure you lodge before your current visa expires in August 2016. If you apply for this while in Australia, you may be eligible to apply online. Further information can be viewed on our website at: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Appl/Student


Hi Joseph - thanks for your query. If you intend to apply for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) you should apply for this visa before your current student visa expires and within six months of completing your current studies. You are able to remain on the student visa, even though you have completed your studies, until your student visa ends. During this time you will need to continue to comply with the conditions of your student visa. Once the student visa expires, you will move to a Bridging visa A and you will need to comply with any conditions attached to this visa. For more information please visit our website at http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/485-. For information on Bridging visa A, please visit http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/010-


Dear Miranda,
I have a question regrading applying for Graduate visa (485 - post-study work) after finishing PhD studies. This question may be applicable to other students like me as well.

I 'm on course to complete my PhD research studies in about 8 months. And I would meet the criteria to apply for a graduate visa after receiving my transcript and completion letter.

I understood that a bridging visa A is granted once the 485 visa application is lodged and this this will be in effect once my current visa (574) has ended and I will have to comply with the conditions on my current substantive visa till then. I'm a bit confused here because I would have completed my studies (no longer enrolled in a course) and my 574 visa ends almost an year after lodging a new application for 485 visa. I would really appreciate your advice.

Studying in Australia have been a wonderful experience.

Thank you,