Go to top of page

Do you want help with your visa application?

This guest post was written by the team at the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.

If you need help with your visa application, you can choose to use a registered migration agent.

In Australia, people who provide immigration help must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (the Authority). It is against the law for anyone who is not a registered migration agent to give immigration advice. We also encourage overseas agents to become registered. 

Watch our video about getting help to apply for an Australian visa

To find a registered migration agent in your location or check if an agent is registered, search the agents register at www.mara.gov.au or call 1300 226 272.

If you are living outside Australia you can use an agent who is located in Australia and contact them by email or telephone.

  • using a registered migration agent protects you—they must:
  • have a good and up-to-date knowledge of Australia’s immigration law and procedures
  • give you accurate advice
  • have high professional and ethical standards
  • act in your interest.

For tips on choosing a registered migration agent and how to make the most of their services, read
Your rights—tips for using a registered migration agent on the Authority’s website. This document is available in 30 languages on the bottom of each page of our website.

You don’t have to use a migration agent to lodge a visa application. Information about Australian visas, including how to apply is available on the department’s website at www.immi.gov.au

If you don’t feel confident, or if your case is complex, you can use a registered migration agent to:

  • find out what visa may suit you best
  • obtain advice about documents to support your application
  • help fill out visa application forms
  • prepare a case in support of your application
  • submit an application and communicate with the department on your behalf

Comments (6)


It doesn’t matter where you are in the world, you can always use an Australian registered migration agent to help you with your visa application. You can use the 'Search for an Agent' tool on our website to get a list of all Australian registered agents in any country. To find agents in New Zealand, select 'More Search Options' (located on the bottom left of the ‘search for an agent’ tool) and type 'New Zealand' as the business location. You can leave all the other search fields blank. This search creates a list of 23 Australian registered migration agents in New Zealand, and shows their business name and suburb. For more information about each agent, you can click on their family name to go directly to their page on our register. If you are willing to communicate with an agent by email and telephone, you can use an agent who is located in Australia even if you are living in another country. When choosing which agent to use, we recommend contacting at least two registered migration agents to compare their fees and services.


A good agent can not only present and prepare a client's case in a most professional fashion, but also provide the client with extra value the client would not have expected, especially those experienced agents in Australia. Thanks for modern communications, onshore agents like me become more and more reachable by overseas clients.


Thank you so much for telling us step by step proceed on for visa process for migration..


My Employer is forcing me to work with Agent they used to work with. unless they will not provide sponsorship.

I am confident to lodge my application on my own.

What should I do?


You don’t have to use a migration agent to lodge a visa application if you don’t want to. However, when deciding whether to use an agent, or which agent to use, it may be in your interest to consider the views of the employer who is offering the sponsorship, and any administrative arrangements they may have in place to help with recruitment. We can’t advise you what to do in this situation; you will need to weigh up the pros and cons of the options you have and make the decision that’s best for you. If you do decide to use a registered migration agent, you may find the information in the Consumer Guide on our website helpful. If you have any specific issues, you can contact us through our website.


Hi there
Do I need to be in Australia to receive advice from an agent? I live in New Zealand but not from New Zealand, I want to migrate to Australia. Can I access any agent who can help process my application and guide me? Where can find a list of authorized agents?