Go to top of page

Seven myths about the Community Status Resolution Service & how they help resolve immigration matters.

Female student using phone


There are some common misconceptions that prevent people who have overstayed their visa from approaching us. These include:

1. If I come forward you will detain me.

We generally do not detain people who voluntarily approach us about their immigration situation. We will generally assess you for a Bridging visa E, which is a temporary type of visa that allows you to remain in the community lawfully while you work with us to resolve your immigration matter.


2. If I come forward I will be deported and will not be able to stay in Australia.

We can discuss the range of visa options available to you when you approach us voluntarily, including whether you are eligible for a temporary or a permanent visa to remain in Australia.


3. I accidentally overstayed my visa because I didn’t understand when my visa expired, now it is too late.

If you have overstayed your visa, it is better to engage with us as soon as possible to resolve your immigration status. We can assess you for a bridging visa, which makes you lawful while you live in the Australian community and are working to resolve your immigration situation. It is never too late to engage with us voluntarily to talk about your immigration situation. 


4. I have been working illegally but I’m scared to tell the Department because you will take away my money.

We encourage people without a valid visa to approach us to discuss their visa situation as soon as possible.  We generally do not take away personal possessions, including any money, if you approach us voluntarily.


5. I can’t remain anonymous if I approach the Department face-to-face.

You can choose to remain anonymous if you approach us, either face-to-face, online or over the phone.


6. I don’t have any money and I need help.

When you engage with we may be able to organise support services for you and your family, based on your personal circumstances. These support services can help you to live in the Australian community while you work with us to resolve your immigration situation. 


7. I want to go home but I need help.

If you approach us we can talk to you about available assistance in returning home, such as help with travel documents and passports, plane tickets, specialist counselling services, and assistance for when you arrive back in your home country.


Our Community Status Resolution Service hosts information sessions in regional Australia to help people who have overstayed their visa or need information about their visa options. We can also help people whose visas have been cancelled.

We will be visiting Townsville, Airlie Beach and Mackay from 19-21 June 2017.


  • Monday 19 June, 9.00 am to 4.00 pm        
  • Townsville Ross River Rd Service Centre
  • Centrelink Office: 304 – 311 Ross River Rd, Aitkenvale

Airlie Beach

  • Tuesday 20 June, 9.00 am to 4.00 pm                     
  • Centrelink Office: 224 Shute Harbour Rd, Cannonvale


  • Wednesday 21 June, 9.00 am to 4.00 pm       
  • Centrelink Office: The Hub @ Greenfields, 12 Greenfields Boulevard, Mount Pleasant

If you are unable to attend an information session, or would prefer to engage with us anonymously online, feel free to post any questions that you may have in the comments field below. One of our officers will respond to your question promptly.

For more information about expired or cancelled visas, visit border.gov.au/csrs or call anonymously on 1300 853 773.

Add new comment